Middle School (Grades 7, 8)
What makes Middle School different? Everything! It’s an important chapter in every girl’s life, when she is learning about the world, establishing her identity and finding a sense of belonging. We understand this time of growth and change, and know just what girls need to thrive.
Our Middle School program for girls in Grades 7 and 8 meets the needs of the learner in transition, addressing the intellectual, physical, social and emotional well-being of students to ensure a smooth transition to Senior School.
We focus on both problem-based and project-based learning, which promotes discovery and exploration across a wide range of disciplines, both in and outside of the classroom.
We know our students are curious, inquisitive and keen to learn about the world, so we design projects, events and units that navigate directly through that curiosity – experiences that engage their questions, challenge their thinking and require them to review and refine their work.
Every girl is included.
Every girl is challenged.
Every girl thrives.
We are a strong community of well-rounded learners and leaders, with a staggering array of co-curricular opportunities. Arts, athletics, clubs, STEM, leadership, community service – what inspires you?
Click the photo on the right to view our Middle School Student Life gallery. >
In supporting our diverse group of girls in Grades 7 and 8, we draw upon extensive research and years of reflective practice. The result? A nurturing, age-appropriate environment where girls develop important attributes such as voice, grit and ethical responsibility. (Read about the Signature of a BSS Girl)
- A dedicated team of teachers and counsellors skilled in the learning and social needs of this age to ensure each girl is supported academically, emotionally and spiritually during these pivotal years of development. They make a point of understanding girls as complex human beings first, in order to properly understand them as learners; something that goes a long way in gaining trust and respect.
- Time scheduled in the curriculum for students to investigate, research and consider issues relevant to them, working towards a deeper understanding of the world.
- An accelerated mathematics program provides girls with the opportunity to achieve Ontario’s Grade 9 mathematics credit at the end of Grade 8.
- The opportunity to achieve a Grade 9 reach ahead credit in French.
- Physical activity integrated into the curriculum to enhance well-being and academic performance.
- Access to the outstanding resources and support of our Student Services Department.
Middle School Spaces
Middle School is set in a large, designated space within our historic main building. The space reflects our teaching and learning philosophies, with lots of opportunity to collaborate and open common areas both inside and out. With access to excellent facilities throughout the campus, including a new state-of-the-art arts/science/athletics wing, our Middle School community has the best of both worlds.