Renowned for its expertise in the particular learning needs of girls, BSS offers a single-gender environment that helps girls achieve their best, both academically and in their life’s pursuits. Continually reaching forward, renewing itself and keeping time with the fast-paced changes and increasing demands of the complicated world its graduates will face, BSS knows girls can do anything and strives to give them the 21st century tools and resources, including a spectacular new arts and science wing, to achieve whatever dreams they conceive.
Our teachers provide a rigorous curricular experience that embraces inquiry-based instructional strategies. We are seeking highly collaborative teachers who are passionate about their subject area and who actively seek the opportunity for interdisciplinary and real-world connections and who are innovative not only in the use of technology but in the ways that they engage students in learning. Experienced educators who have been actively engaged in ongoing professional learning and are excited about making a difference in the lives of young women are encouraged to apply for the following position commencing the 2019-20 academic year:
Vice Principal, Teaching and Learning
Reports to: Principal, Senior School
Academic Program Team (Lead Teacher, Department Heads)
Advanced Placement Co-ordinator
Director of Summer Academy
Summary of Position:
The Vice Principal, Teaching and Learning is a member of the Senior School Leadership Team and serves as a key instructional leader in the school. S/he leads the work of the Academic Program Team to ensure a contemporary and rigorous university preparatory program, and implement the school’s pedagogical vision, the Culture of Powerful Learning as well as The Signature of a BSS Girl. The VP, Teaching and Learning works with department heads, lead teachers and faculty to support high quality teaching and learning, along with best practices in assessment and evaluation. The VP, Teaching and Learning also works across Middle and Senior Schools to ensure a well aligned, developmentally appropriate scope and sequence of learning in keeping with the school’s vision, mission and values.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Empowers faculty to understand and apply contemporary approaches to curriculum design, teaching and learning, and assessment and evaluation
- Ensures the rigour of the BSS curriculum through the introduction and timely review of practices
- Supports a culture of teacher collaborative inquiry with a focus on student learning
- Works with faculty and staff to find meaningful interdisciplinary opportunities within and across courses, including within and beyond STEAM disciplines
- Works with teachers to use data that informs instruction and improves learning
- Partners with department heads to set and monitor department goals
- Models instructional leadership that builds capacity to strengthen and enhance teaching and learning
- Works with faculty to problem-solve pedagogical and curricular issues
- Facilitates collaboration with external partners for curricular connections to enhance student learning opportunities
- Ensures a highly assessment literate community of teachers
- Supports faculty to share their innovative work within and outside of the school community
- Periodically reviews relevant school policies pertaining to teaching, learning and assessment
- Works with the Director of Summer Academy, Vice Principal, Academic Administration and Students Services Department Head to create meaningful summer learning opportunities
- Leads development of the annual Course of Study (Course Calendar)
- Teaches one section of a course, or part of a course
- Commits to the Staff Growth and Evaluation Process
- Other related responsibilities as assigned
Skills, Experience and Attributes Include:
- An experienced educator with the equivalent of a Master’s degree in education and eight years’ experience, including a proven record of outstanding achievement as a classroom teacher, and in an educational leadership role
- Commitment to academic excellence within a creative, innovative environment
- A deep understanding of contemporary pedagogies including inquiry approaches, problem-based learning, project-based learning, design thinking, discussion-based strategies, writing and thinking, etc.
- Experience using data to support teacher learning and inform instruction
- A superior understanding of contemporary assessment and evaluation practices that are aligned with and extend those described in Growing Success: Assessment, Evaluation and Reporting in Ontario Schools (2010)
- Ability to inspire faculty with a vision of curriculum of the future that is global in scope and ethical in outlook
- Commitment to contemporary curriculum research and practices as well as academic research and its application to our learning environment and experiences
- A highly engaging and visible style in dealing with students and parents to ensure a strong rapport with the community
- Evidence of past success in team building and the development of positive and collaborative working relationships
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to encourage others to develop their own capabilities in these areas
- An appreciation for and understanding of the developmental needs of girls
- Superior organizational skills with the ability to prioritize, multi-task and problem-solve in a fast-paced environment
- Thorough understanding of, passion for and a desire to work enthusiastically in pursuit of our vision
- Energy, flexibility and a sense of humour
Position Status: 12-month position with vacation entitlement
We offer a competitive compensation package and are members of the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan.
Interested applicants should forward cover letter and resume to Human Resources at The Bishop Strachan School by email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating VP, Teaching and Learning in the subject line by Tuesday, February 19, 2019. Interviews will be held at the end of February.
We thank all candidates in advance. We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview. We believe that diversity in our school fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment. We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.