Internationally acclaimed for its unique environment and expertise in the particular learning needs of girls, The Bishop Strachan School (BSS) has built a reputation over its long history as an undisputed leader in education. Offering a challenging, lively and creative atmosphere, a roster of uniquely qualified faculty and staff, and an inspiring campus featuring a spectacular science and arts wing, BSS inspires each student to find her passion, pursue her dreams and reach her potential through a rigorous academic program.
Helping students become smart, independent, compassionate young women, BSS provides the tools, technology and innovation required to thrive in post-secondary pursuits and beyond. Our unique whole girl approach, commitment to excellence and embodiment of strong values create a profound and powerful learning environment within a supportive, engaged community.
To support our mission of providing our students with the best educational experience, we strive for excellence in every facet of the organization – including providing a stimulating, creative and lively work environment that attracts the best staff and faculty. We are seeking the right candidate to fill the position of:
Director of Operations
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
Direct Reports: Supervisor of Facilities; Senior Facilities Coordinator
Indirect Reports: Facilities Staff; Security Staff – Internal & 3rd party
Summary of Position
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Director of Operations provides strategic facility leadership in operating The Bishop Strachan School’s multifaceted historical school building and ensuring the school’s facilities will support the school’s mission and strategic directions.
Collaborating with senior leaders, this role will oversee the safe operation of all building systems, planning and project management related to the capital and department operating budgets, physical security and technology to ensure optimal operating results, and safeguarding the wellbeing of students, resident families, staff and volunteers.
The Director of Operations has responsibility for the development of annual capital and department operating budgets and long range facilities planning in line with BSS’s strategic directions. This role is responsible for managing and monitoring purchasing and capital expenditures and third-party contractors, while remaining in compliance with provincial and federal regulations.
The position will provide leadership to the Facilities staff and provides mentoring, training, support, direction and inspiration to department staff to achieve high performance.
- Collaborates with academic and staff leadership to understand how the school’s facilities will support its mission and strategic directions
- Provides leadership, mentoring, support and day to day guidance to the Facilities team
- Contributes to the planning and design of facilities master plan and oversight of its execution
- Development and management of a preventative maintenance plan for all equipment and systems to extend useful life and minimize downtime
- Ongoing review and assessment of current department processes and practises, and make recommendations for areas for change, in accordance with best practices and/or improvements to operational efficiencies.
- Regularly inspects the overall buildings and facilities for needed services and repairs, and develops preventative maintenance or contingency plans
- Assesses work to ensure outcomes meet stated objectives and acceptable service standards; provides direction when service levels are not acceptable
- Strategically plans, schedules and implements minor and major maintenance and renovation plans for all facilities and utilities systems, defining key projects, and provides recommendations to the Senior
- Works with Senior Facilities Co-ordinator to plan, schedule and implement minor and major maintenance and annual capital development projects, providing active 3rd party contractor oversight to ensure projects are completed on-time and on-budget
- Provides ongoing advisory services and support to various committees of the school, and Board including the House and Property Committee.
- Liaises with other departments in the school with respect to facilities needs
- Researches, selects and oversees contractors and outside service providers ensuring the selection of highest quality contractors at the best possible costs.
- Establishes and maintains service level agreements and ensures performance levels are met
- Provides maintenance and monitoring of electrical systems, HVAC, utilities; heating and lighting
- Investigates and responds accordingly to any reports of faults, breakdowns or repairs to office/school equipment or physical spaces, selects contractor if required; and oversees work done
- Supports the management and delivery of special events
- Actively manages the Reserve Fund Study including recommendations, planning and implementation
- Manages the selection, acquisition and installation of furniture and non-IT equipment for staff and student use
- Responsible for oversight of physical security processes and staffing, including management of internal and external security staff; installs and maintains security devices; establishing and enforcing precautionary policies and procedures
- Co-Chairs the Health & Safety Committee and administers workplace health and safety management in line with legislative requirements, including fire safety codes, building codes, Occupational Health & Safety Act and School’s Crisis Management procedures
- Directs the Facilities team when responding to emergencies as required (i.e. floods, fire alarms, power failures, etc.)
- Participates in regular Professional Learning on an ongoing basis and contributes to the department’s body of knowledge and encourages Professional Learning for the entire operations team
- Commits to the Staff Growth and Evaluation Process
- Other responsibilities as assigned
Skills, Experience and Attributes
- Demonstrated experience in strategic planning, budget preparation, cost control systems and records management to maintain and update building records
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with senior leaders and effectively manage people and teams
- Strong focus on customer service
- Completion of post-secondary education in one or more of the following: Facilities Management, Systems Maintenance, Building Environmental Systems; certification in a relevant discipline would be an asset.
- Minimum 5 years related management experience, with responsibility for all aspects of building maintenance and construction.
- Experience in construction administration and/or project management in an educational environment is an asset
- Experience with design and implementation of a campus master plan
- Solid knowledge of mechanical, electrical, carpentry, painting and pool experience in a retrofitted environment as well as practical experience in an historical building
- Working knowledge of construction and renovations, understanding of blue prints, quality control, current and relevant legislation, standards and codes, including Occupational Health & Safety Act
- Demonstrated leadership experience; strong analytical, problem-solving, decision-making and negotiating skills
- Working knowledge of related software applications, project management and preventative maintenance and security software
- Proven strength in Microsoft Office with particular emphasis on Excel and Word
- Effective team player and ability to work independently
- Ability to perform well under pressure, manage competing priorities, take initiative and adaptable to change
- Good interpersonal and communication skills in order to interact with all members of the BSS community in a service oriented environment in a consensual manner
- Commitment to the vision of the school
- Flexibility and sense of humour
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at The Bishop Strachan School by email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating Director of Operations in the subject line.
We thank all candidates in advance. We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview. We believe that diversity in our school fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment. We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.