Renowned for its expertise in the particular learning needs of girls, BSS offers a single-gender environment that helps girls achieve their best, both academically and in their life’s pursuits. Continually reaching forward, renewing itself and keeping time with the fast-paced changes and increasing demands of the complicated world its graduates will face, BSS knows girls can do anything and strives to give them the 21st century tools and resources, including a spectacular new arts and science wing, to achieve whatever dreams they conceive.
Our teachers provide a rigorous curricular experience that embraces inquiry-based instructional strategies. We are seeking highly collaborative teachers who are passionate about their subject area and who actively seek the opportunity for interdisciplinary and real-world connections and who are innovative not only in the use of technology but in the ways that they engage students in learning. Experienced teachers who have been actively engaged in ongoing professional learning and are excited about making a difference in the lives of young women are encouraged to apply for the following position commencing the 2018-19 academic year.
Senior School Athletics Director (AD)
Reports to: Vice Principal, Student Life
Liaises Internally with:
Junior School/Middle School Athletic Director
Health and Physical Education Staff
Internal and External Coaches
Human Resources and Facilities Staff
Administrative Specialist Team
Liaises externally with:
CAIS Athletic Association
Load: 3/5 AD, 2/5 Teaching
Summary of Position:
The Senior School Athletics Director (AD) reports to the VP Student Life and oversees the athletics program in the Senior School. The Athletics Director is an engaging leader, a respected and experienced coach, competitive athlete and coach with the ability to envision an inclusive athletics program that aligns with the Signature of a BSS Girl, our Culture of Powerful Learning, our Health and Physical Education curricular program, and provides opportunities for all girls to be physically active and participate in sports at different levels of competition.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- With other key staff, aligns skills and knowledge between Athletics and Physical Education courses, and monitors the alignment
- Mentors student leaders in facilitating fun sports events that build school spirit (e.g. Crazy Sports Day) and the sport component of events and celebrations of athletic endeavours (e.g. Reunion Weekend, Sports Banquet)
- Recruits and mentors both internal staff and external hires as effective coaches for adolescent girls’ sport
- Stewards relationships among the community effectively and communicates regularly the successes and development of the teams, participants and overall program
- Organizes the logistics of sporting events including arrangements for coaches, referees, timekeepers, transportation and where necessary accommodation
- Represents the best interests of BSS at the CISAA, OFSAA, and other sports organizations;
- Contributes to the development of the physical, intellectual, social and emotional growth of BSS girls’
- Manages the Senior School Athletics budget
- Liaises with support staff regarding administrative needs of the athletic program
- Other related responsibilities as required.
Skills, Experience and Attributes Include:
- An experienced educator with an educational background in Health and Physical Education, or Kinesiology is preferred
- Current coaching certification (NCCP) and several years leading other coaches
- Expertise on the latest research on coaching, and in particular, coaching girls
- A proven record of outstanding achievement in a leadership role with acknowledged strong interpersonal and intrapersonal skills
- Demonstrated passion for, and commitment to lifelong learning
- Ability to work collaboratively with all members of the BSS community and external athletic associations (e.g. CISAA)
- Excellence communication, facilitation and presentation skills, both spoken and written
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work with details, prioritize, multi-task and problem-solve in a fast-paced flexible learning environment
- Ability to work in a confidential manner
- Energy and a sense of humour
- Demonstrate understanding of and desire to work enthusiastically in pursuit of the school’s vision
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at The Bishop Strachan School by mail to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating Senior School Athletics Director in the subject line.
We thank all candidates in advance. We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview. We believe that diversity in our school fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment. We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.