Internationally acclaimed for its unique environment and expertise in the particular learning needs of girls, The Bishop Strachan School (BSS) has built a reputation over its long history as an undisputed leader in education. Offering a challenging, lively and creative atmosphere, a roster of uniquely qualified faculty and staff, and an inspiring campus featuring a spectacular science and arts wing, BSS inspires each student to find her passion, pursue her dreams and reach her potential through a rigorous academic program.
Helping students become smart, independent, compassionate young women, BSS provides the tools, technology and innovation required to thrive in post-secondary pursuits and beyond. Our unique whole girl approach, commitment to excellence and embodiment of strong values create a profound and powerful learning environment within a supportive, engaged community.
To support our mission of providing our students with the best educational experience, we strive for excellence in every facet of the organization – including providing a stimulating, creative and lively work environment that attracts the best staff and faculty. We are seeking the right candidate to fill the position of:
After Care Program Teacher
Reports To: After Care Program Co-ordinator
Hours: 3:00 to 6:00 pm Monday to Friday when school is in session during September to June. Participation in professional learning days and staff meetings throughout the year.
Summary of Position: The After Care Program Teachers, in conjunction with the After Care Program Co-ordinator, offer JK-Grade 6 program supervision and homework assistance within a caring and nurturing environment. In addition, the Co- ordinator and Teachers incorporate a variety of indoor and outdoor activities that are consistent with a Reggio-inspired approach from 3:00 to 6:00 pm.
Specific Accountabilities Include:
- Assists students in small groups or individually with daily homework tasks
- Develops daily activities for the girls to do upon completion of homework
- Organizes weekly activities ensuring all supplies are in stock
- Supervises students in playground and classroom
- Documents student learning and collaborate with Co-ordinator to plan future activities
- Co-ordinates snacks
- Liaises with other teachers and parents ensuring needs of students are met
- Organizes and co-ordinates with Service Learning Department to offer volunteer opportunities for Senior School students within the program
- Inputs monthly After Care charges
- Performs duties to assist with Fun Plus Programs
- Commits to the Staff Growth and Evaluation Process
- Performs other duties as required
Skills, Experience and Attributes Include:
- Member of the Ontario College of Teachers with a related teaching degree
- Working/volunteer experience with girls 4 to 10 years of age in camp or daycare setting
- Current in First Aid/CPR
- A sense of humour and fun, positive attitude
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills. Able to handle multiple priorities in a professional manner
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office with particular emphasis on Word and Excel
- Experience working in a Google environment including drive, docs, sheets, calendars and communities an asset
- Excellent interpersonal skills to interact with students, staff and parents
- Commitment to the vision of the school
We offer a competitive compensation package and are members of the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan. Interested applicants should forward cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the After Care Program Teacher in the subject line.
We thank all candidates in advance. We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview. We believe that diversity in our school fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment. We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.