Internationally acclaimed for its unique environment and expertise in the particular learning needs of girls, The
Bishop Strachan School (BSS) has built a reputation over its long history as an undisputed leader in education.
Offering a challenging, lively and creative atmosphere, a roster of uniquely qualified faculty and staff, and an
inspiring campus featuring a spectacular science and arts wing, BSS inspires each student to find her passion, pursue
her dreams and reach her potential through a rigorous academic program.
Helping students become smart, independent, compassionate young women, BSS provides the tools, technology and
innovation required to thrive in post-secondary pursuits and beyond. Our unique whole girl approach, commitment to
excellence and embodiment of strong values create a profound and powerful learning environment within a
supportive, engaged community.
To support our mission of providing our students with the best educational experience, we strive for excellence in
every facet of the organization – including providing a stimulating, creative and lively work environment that attracts
the best staff and faculty. We are seeking the right candidate to fill the position of:
Idea Lab Technician (Design Technology)
August 24, 2020
Reports to: Head of Visual Arts and Technology
Summary of Position:
The Idea Lab Technician within our Visual Arts and Technology department is responsible for integrating current
and emerging technology and tools that align with our Signature of a BSS Girl (SBSSG) attributes and our Culture
of Powerful Learning (CoPL) within all areas of our JK-12 curriculum. As part of a team, this position supports
and builds capacity in the use of tools, technology and the design process with both faculty and students. This
includes teacher support, integration within classrooms, skills development, appropriate and safe use of tools and
development of new techniques and learning opportunities. This position will participate as a team member to
continue to move the school forward at the leading edge of technology education.
At BSS we provide an opportunity for our students to explore, design and build in a state of the art Idea Lab. The
mandate of our visual arts and technology program is to provide students and teachers with the tools, materials,
training and expertise to translate innovative ideas into reality.
Specific Accountabilities Include:
● Supporting innovative teaching and learning using design technologies including 3D printing, laser
cutting, soldering, electronic design, woodworking, digital printing, sewing, CNC milling and other
● Supporting teachers from all areas of the school as their students design and create products using
available tools and technology
● Maintaining technology and tools within the Idea lab, keeping a safe and functional work space, and
assisting in the installation of new technology
● Providing safety training to teachers and students
● Deepening teacher understanding and use of Idea Lab for learning by delivering planned or just-in-time
skills development. As part of a larger Visual Arts and Technology department and a Technology
Integration team, developing and delivering skills-based professional learning
● Consulting with teachers and students to develop and support projects
● Reviewing, updating and establishing new safety procedures that ensure faculty and students are working
safely as they use the tools and the spaces
● Maintaining and servicing equipment, including but not limited to, software and hardware servicing,
troubleshooting, cleaning and repairing
● Managing and monitoring equipment and materials inventory. Proactively placing orders, receiving and
restocking as necessary and providing required paperwork to Accounts Payable Administrator
● As part of a team, participating in research, testing and pilots on current and/or emergent tools as well
as developing best use practices relevant to the BSS learning environment and strategic directions.
● Working as part of a team to open and close the school – including, but not limited to, the setup of Idea
lab spaces for school opening and any associated training
● Committing to the Staff Growth and Evaluation Process
● Other responsibilities as required
Skills, Experience and Attributes:
● Excited by the opportunity to learn how to operate new tools, and experiment with processes to find new
ways to support the creation of beautiful, efficient and innovative student work.
● Enjoys tinkering and exploring different ways of making objects. You see connections between materials
and processes and recognize that good outcomes come from experimentation and multiple iterations.
● Proven experience working safely in a lab environment, maintaining a safe and functional workspace and
training others to use tools and equipment safely and effectively
● Experience using and maintaining traditional and rapid-prototyping tools
● Skilled in diverse areas of technology, including 2D design and 3D CAD software, 3D printing, laser
cutting, machining, electronics, the use of hand tools, sewing and textiles
● Experience integrating technology within a JK-12 curriculum
● Understanding of Design Thinking and the Design Process
● Strong working knowledge and experience with the Apple platform including software and hardware
● Strong collaborative nature with good verbal and written communication skills
● Good research and writing skills
● Proven team-building and teamwork skills encompassing diverse work groups
● Troubleshooting/problem-solving skills
● Strong organizational and planning skills
● Interested in and able to work in a complex and changing environment
● Flexibility and a sense of humor
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at The Bishop Strachan
School by email to email@example.com indicating Idea Lab Technician position in the subject line.
We thank all candidates in advance. We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview. We believe that diversity in our School fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment. We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.