Internationally acclaimed for its unique environment and expertise in the particular learning needs of girls, The Bishop Strachan School (BSS) has built a reputation over its long history as an undisputed leader in education. Offering a challenging, lively and creative atmosphere and a roster of uniquely qualified faculty and staff, BSS inspires each student to find her passion, pursue her dreams and reach her potential through a rigorous academic program. Helping students become smart, independent, compassionate young women, BSS provides the tools, technology and innovation required to thrive in post-secondary pursuits and beyond. Our unique whole girl approach, commitment to excellence and embodiment of strong values create a profound and powerful learning environment within a supportive, engaged community.
To support our mission of providing our students with the best educational experience, we strive for excellence in every facet of the organization – including providing a stimulating, creative and lively work environment that attracts the best staff and faculty. We are seeking the right candidate to fill the position of:
Student Services and Senior School
Maternity Leave August 14, 2017 – September 17, 2018
Head of Student Services
Executive Assistant to the Principal, Senior School/Senior School Office Manager
Summary of Position:
The Administrative Assistant, Student Services and Senior School provides exemplary administrative and customer support in a busy, nurturing environment and is able to easily switch from working in the Student Services Office (three days per week) to the Senior School Office (two days per week). This position provides curricular and event-related administrative support to the members of the Administrative Team. The Administrative Assistant works in a procedural, consensus-building manner with faculty, students, parents, and staff in keeping with the school’s vision, philosophy and strategic vision.
Specific Accountabilities Include:
- Performs routine administrative functions such as data entry and tracking, correspondence preparation, scheduling, intranet postings, mailings, shredding, mail, faxes, filing, maintaining electronic and hard copy files
- Performs more complex administrative functions such as arranging travel plans including itineraries, preparing information packages, and running various reports including transcripts, academic histories and forms
- Provides administrative support such as electronic calendar maintenance, disseminating and collecting documents and working with faculty to proof and edit final documents, as well as, event-related support to members of the Student Services and Administrative Teams
- Covers main reception area, including security, Front Reception (in person and over the phone) as part of a rotation
- Participates in the Administrative Specialists Team meetings
- Performs other related responsibilities as required.
Skills, Experience and Attributes Include:
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in a fast-paced, multi-faceted office
- Experience in an educational environment, preferably within the independent school system is an asset
- Proven strength in Microsoft Office with particular emphasis on Excel and Word
- Experience with Gmail and Google Calendar is an asset
- Competence in the effective use of databases – knowledge of Blackbaud is a particular asset
- Familiarity with intranet posting
- Keen interest and understanding of evolving technologies and office protocols
- Familiarity with Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) requirements and EQAO
- Working knowledge of Naviance, Ontario Universities’ Application Centre (OUAC), Universities and Colleges Admissions Services (UCAS) and the Common Application
- Excellent interpersonal skills including both verbal and written
- Strong organizational, time management and customer-service skills
- Proven ability to take initiative, multi-task, work under pressure, problem-solve and handle confidential information
- Effective team player as well as the ability to work independently
- A high degree of comfort with change
- Ability to grasp the “overall picture” of the various ongoing school events
- Sense of humour
Terms and Conditions:
- Some planning, parent contact, and school/Boarding events fall outside the standard schedule as do the start and end of year and include: August 24, 2017 full day; August 25, 2017 full day; Monday September 4th (Labour Day) Full Day
- Regular schedule begins Tuesday September 5, 2017.
- Position ends June 9, 2018.
- This is a one year contract, with an option for renewal for a second year.
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at The Bishop Strachan School by email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating Administrative Assistant, Student Services and Senior School position in the subject line.
We thank all candidates in advance. We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview. We believe that diversity in our School fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment. We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.